Dolls are very important in any child’s years and a doll shows off as a friend for the child during her playing times. Dolls are not only another item that is made out of plastic. It becomes a valuable life-long treasure item and unlike children, dolls also suffer in silence when it gets damaged or neglected unnecessary.
After many years of playing with baby dolls, I kept all my dolls safe and they are as precious and adorable as the first day I got them. Dolls are also popular keepsakes and valuable antiques. After years of storage in many cases dolls get damaged like losing an arm or leg, gets torn, the stuffing of the doll may go flat or in many cases only needs a gentle cleansing to refresh them. It is better to try and safe a doll and pass it on for many more generations, before it gets thrown into a dustbin at first. Here is a few guidelines that can help you with repairing of your doll.
Click on the link below to find out more on how to get rid of frizzy tangled hair.
How To Get Rid Of Tangled And Frizzy Doll Hair
Tips To Improve The Condition Of A Neglected Doll
- If a doll’s cloth-body is damaged in many cases it can be fixed by replacing it with a new one.
- If a doll’s arm, leg or head comes off and the doll has push-in limbs, a hairdryer can be used to make the plastic pliable, it should be easier to replace that part.
- Inside specific dolls are elastics that holds the body parts of the doll together. If the elastic breaks, try and replace it with new elastics.
- The pride of any doll is her hair and you might find that the doll’s hair gets loose. If it happens it can be glued with a white glue. (Depending on what the doll is made out of, it is always advisable to check the directions on a glue packet to see if it is suitable for that specific doll).
- If the doll’s rooted hair is so damaged beyond repair, it is better to cut the hair off as close to the scalp as possible and glue a wig back onto the doll’s head.
- Repairing of porcelain or antique dolls, will be advisable to leave it to a doll hospital or doll repair shops in your area to fix it.
- Larger Craft stores will keep doll repair supplies like fabrics, stuffing, glue and parts for specific dolls. Take the doll in for a match and get advice from them.
Find Ways To Improve The Condition Of A Doll
- Dust the doll regularly with a feather duster. For stubborn dust, the best is to put the doll in a nylon stock, vacuum over it on low speed. Be careful that the doll’s hair does not get ruined.
- Clean her with a dry cloth or chemical sponge. To clean crevices and hard reach places like the eyes, nose, mouth and ears, clean it with Q-tip or a toothbrush gently.
- Keep a doll’s hairline dry when your doll has detangled hair, because the glue might come off, when it is wet. Synthetic and straight hair can be washed with a wired brush. Curly hair should not be brushed, because the curls get ruined.
- Fix cloudy eyes – If it is foggy and crystallized, the best is to use a small drop of sewing machine oil and dip a drop onto the eye. Lay the doll down on her stomach and wipe off any oil flowing over to other parts. Leave it for an hour and check it regularly. Wipe it off with a wet cloth.
- Repair clothes – Fix holes with a sewing machine. To remove stains and dirt on clothes, take off the doll’s clothes and accessories on it and hand wash it in cold water and let it dry.
- Store a doll safely – For antique and porcelain dolls, the best is to keep it in it’s original box or ventilated container. Smoke, sunlight or extreme temperatures can cause stains.
Dolls are so adorable and precious items and needs all the love and tender care its needs. If you take care of your dolls, it can be passed on for many more generations.
Dolls are also a girl’s best friend. They become part of every girl’s childhood and during playing times lots of memories, fun times and stories can be told.
Next time try not to throw another doll away before considering ways to improve the condition of doll. It can save you money on the long run.